Bats are everywhere!
Zach, Jeremy and Justin started working on a house in Jackson, Wy last week. The house is in the process of being remodeled and the contractors found that bats had gotten into the ceiling and had made a mess. They set up containment and set an air scrubber with a charcoal filter to help with the smell. Then they removed all the affected materials and hepa vacuumed and treated with anti-microbial. They will then do a CL02 treatment to remove all smells.
On www.getbatsout.com they explain better why bats and their droppings can be so dangerous.
The Hidden Danger of Bat Guano
Ask nearly anyone, and you’ll hear that bats (although beneficial in insect control) can be dangerous because they carry rabies. But a lesser known danger, and one that is not as easy to avoid, is histoplasmosis. Histoplasmosis is a disease you can get from exposure to bat guano (bat droppings).
Below is a quick list of common questions we get about histoplasmosis.
What is Histoplasmosis?
It is an infectious disease caught by inhaling the spores of the histoplasma capsulatum fungus. While it is not contagious between two people, the disease can affect a wide variety of the population who may not even be aware they are at risk.
Be careful with that insulation
Some people are unaware how dangerous insulation in their homes. Most are careful about the amount of insulation installed, but often the type, the age, and other quality factors are ignored. Being educated about potential health, and safety, issues is an important way to protect your home and family.
Asbestos, Zonolite, and mold are all dangers that can lurk inside of insulation and all cause different threats.
Asbestosis is a serious, non-cancerous disease of the lungs that is caused by inhaling asbestos fibers. The lung tissue is irritated and scarring occurs, making it hard for oxygen to get into the blood. There is no effective treatment for asbestosis.
Another dangerous insulation that was produced well into the 1980s, Zonolite, was manufactured by the Grace Company. Zonolite was produced using sharp vermiculite crystals and looks like small, 1/4 to 1/2 inch puffy nuggets. The respiratory dangers are similar to asbestos.
Mold and fungus will damage and discolor the walls, floors and ceilings in homes. If left unchecked, it can damage the structural integrity of the building by eating away at the wood and drywall. It can also cause breathing problems.
There are certainly ways to avoid the dangers that come with insulation. If you do decide to make changes or upgrades to your home you will want to consider an energy efficient home renovation. That means that you will need to look into more of a simple energy solution. Including alternative forms of insulation.
If you happen to have a disaster please give us a call at (208)523-5365. We are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week for all your cleaning and restoration needs. We are on call so we can be there immediately to help you with your disaster.