Fixing a mistake
Our production manager Eric and tech Justin went to Alpine over the weekend to look at the crawl space in a home that’s still under construction. Because the floor joists were not sealed correctly when they were installed by a different company, mold had begun to grow and water was beginning to seep in through the foundation.
SERVPRO is dedicated to being available to our customers 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We make sure that when we start a project we complete it in a timely manner as correctly the first time. Customer service is our number one priority. And we know how bad people want to be back into their homes after a disaster may hit.
Mold can be very dangerous and usually requires a professional for removal so if you suspect you may have mold growth in your home or business please give SERVPRO a call today at (208) 523-5365
The phone had a mind of its own
Steven and Hanna received a call from a water loss at an Apartment complex in Rexburg, ID. Upon arrival they decided they needed help so they contacted Zach and Justin so they could help them move contents and place drying equipment to help stabilize and start the drying process. The loss was caused from a lithium battery being left on the charger. It had exploded and caused the sprinkler system to activate flooding 1 apartment and 2 hallways.
So what exactly causes a lithium battery to explode? According to www.consumerreport.com the chemicals inside the battery begin to heat up, which causes further degradation of the separator. The battery can eventually hit temperatures of more than 1,000° F. At that point the flammable electrolyte can ignite or even explode when exposed to the oxygen in the air
If you have a Fire, Water, Mold or Asbestos disaster give SERVPRO a call today! We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
Over this past weekend Zach, Justin, Brittany and Eric received a call that they were needed at a Water Disaster in Idaho Falls. A hose bib had broken causing water to flood in 5 different rooms.
Per www.happystartsathome.com the first thing to do is to dry the area. Cleaning up the water you see is important, but the most important thing is to dry up the water you can’t see – in the carpet pad, in the sheetrock, in the insulation in your walls… This means drying the room or rooms completely, possibly using a commercial air mover to force water off floors and out of carpets, walls and furniture. Along with that, you’ll want to set up a dehumidifier. This machine will suck all of the excess moisture from the air, not only helping to dry the room quickly, but preventing mold from growing.
Thankfully SERVPRO is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help assist you with all of your Fire, Water, Mold, and Asbestos Disasters.
Fires can happen at any time and almost any place. It is important to always be prepared for a disaster in case it happens to you. Here are some safety steps from www.prevention1st.com
- Don’t smoke in bed or when sleepy. Smoking materials are the cause of 24% of home fire fatalities.
- Turn off portable space heaters when you leave the room or go to sleep. Heating equipment is the source of an additional 24% of home fire fatalities.
- Turn off the stove if you have to answer the phone or leave the room. Cooking equipment is the source of 15% of home fire fatalities, and by far the leading cause of home fire injuries.
- Put away matches or lighters in a high cabinet or locked drawer, out of sight and reach of children. Children under age 5 are eight times more likely to die in a fire caused by playing with a heat source than are older children and adults.
Be Prepared If a Fire Occurs
- Install a smoke alarm. One working smoke alarm on each floor is better, and one working smoke alarm inside every sleeping area is best. The National Fire Protection Association and the International Association of Fire Chiefs recommend installing both ionization and photoelectric alarms, or dual alarms that incorporate both technologies. Ionization smoke alarms respond best to flaming fires, and photoelectric to smoldering fires.
- Press the test button on your smoke alarm to make sure it’s still working, even if it’s hard-wired or has long-life batteries;
- Plan and practice a home fire drill. Make sure everyone in your home knows what to do when the alarm sounds:
- Get out right away.
- Go directlyto your meeting place. Choose a meeting place in front of your home or where firefighters can see you.
- Don’t go back inside for anything.
- Call 9-1-1. Provide your address with the complete and precise street name (e.g. is it Sunset Street, Sunset Circle, Sunset Boulevard?) and the nearest cross street.
If you have a fire disaster give SERVPRO a call today at (208) 523-5365.
We always care
When SERVPRO of Rexburg/Rigby receives a good review, we can’t help but think we must be doing something right! We value ourselves in having great customer service and always being able to make sure that this is just what the customer has received.
Before we go to a job we try and relay as much information as possible to our technicians. We do this so they can be prepared for anything that may come up on the job and be able to offer the best customer service. Not all of our jobs are fire, water, and mold. We also encounter biohazard and crime scene cleanup which takes extreme compassion and understanding on our part.
If you have a biohazard or crime scene cleanup and would like the most caring and understanding company to help, give SERVPRO a call at (208) 523-5365.
Veteran owned and operated
SERVPRO of Rexburg/Rigby is a Veteran family owned franchise. Skylar Price spent 9 years serving our country before deciding to buy a SERVPRO franchise in Southeastern Idaho. Skylar was born and raised in Idaho and now raises his three children here along with his wife Tamara Price. Together they keep the small-town values alive in their business. Their main objective is and has always been customers first. They go above and beyond to make sure any job we take on is done to the best of our abilities. They are always looking for ways to volunteer our services in the community. This year in 2019 their marketing team has planned over 6 volunteer opportunities and cannot wait to be apart of them!
If you have a fire, water, mold, or asbestos disaster, give SERVPRO a call today at (208) 523-5365
We strive to be better
Reviews are everything to our franchise. We strive to always get positive reviews but also appreciate negative ones. With negative reviews we feel that this gives our company room to grow. If we are not doing something correctly than we are able to address these concerns and better ourselves in the long run. We have learned over the years that we aren’t always going to be perfect with everything we do. But this way we are at least able to see our faults and grown and learn from them.
I burnt potatoes and they were able to get the smoke smell out of my house.
friendly staff , dependable honest work.
I would recommend SERVPRO to anyone.
If you have a fire, water, mold, or asbestos disaster, give SERVPRO a call today at (208) 523-5365.
Careers with SERVPRO
SERVPRO of Rexburg / Rigby is proud of the work we do and is always looking for people interested in a rewarding career. We put great value into our employees and the work that they do.
Our staff at SERVPRO of Rexburg/Rigby is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certifications, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. Our training program includes the following:
- IICRC Training
- Employee Certification Training
- Initial Franchise Training
- Continuing Education Classes
Here at SERVPRO of Rexburg/Rigby we pride ourselves in being a veteran family owned franchise. Our mission is to develop a hardworking team of quality people who focus on excellent service, fairness, and mutual respect.
If you are interested in a career with SERVPRO please check back frequently as new career opportunities become available. Or give our SERVPRO office a call at (208) 523-5365.
Why SERVPRO of Rexburg/Rigby
You always here people asking why this company and why that company?! So, I decided to ask people around our office why they would choose SERVPRO of Rexburg/Rigby and here is what they had to say…
“Because we make it look "Like it never even happened." We are fast on site and we care about our customers.”
We are faster to any size disaster. We are a dedicated team in wanting to restore your home to its original.
Our techs are fast and do quality work. The women in the front office are by far the most caring and efficient workers I’ve ever worked with. And I am more than proud to be a part of.
“We are courteous, informative, and have real life people answering our phones!”
Job File Coordinator
We love volunteering
SERVPRO of Rexburg/Rigby loves to get involved with local events in our area. One of the more recent events that we will be donating our time to is the Spring Brew event in downtown Idaho Falls, ID. This event will be hoping to host hundreds of people and is a fundraising event for Idaho Falls Downtown Developments Corporation. If you are interested in attending this event more information will be posted below.
Head Downtown to enjoy friends, brews, and bands April 13th from 1:00 to 6:00pm at the Civitan Plaza (corner of Park Avenue and B Street)! Come enjoy local craft beers and live music on the stage. Grab your friends and come enjoy the afternoon outside with us. Admission is $15, which gets you 3 beer tokens and a commemorative pint glass. Additional beer tokens may be purchased at the event. Non-drinkers get in for $5.