April Showers Brings May Flowers
Many people, myself included, are astatic and cannot wait for those beautiful flowers to bloom and that terrible white stuff on the ground to disappear for a few months. But are we really ready for all spring has to offer? There are many hidden dangers as well as preparations we should be checking off our list before spring makes its first appearance.
On www.diynetwork.com they suggest a few things that will help you be more prepared.
- Clean Gutters - Grab a ladder, and check your gutters for debris. Remove as much as you can with your hands (Don't forget to wear gloves!). Remove any leftover gunk with a garden hose. Take off any nozzle and have a helper turn on the water when you’re ready. Shove the hose into the downspout to power out of gooseneck bends. Make sure your downspouts channel water at least five feet from foundation walls.
- Scrub Walls, Baseboards and Outlets - Scrub all the walls — in the bathroom, kitchen, bedrooms and living areas — with a sponge or brush and mild soap and water. This includes baseboards and outlets. Make sure to completely dry outlet covers before replacing.
- Replace Filters - Replace all filters including water, range hood and air vent filters. You should replace these filters every 3-6 months depending on the type of filter you have.
- Clean Faucets and Showerheads - Unscrew the faucet aerators, sink sprayers and showerheads, and soak them in equal parts vinegar and water solution. Let them soak for an hour, then rinse with warm water.
- Clean Out the Dryer Vent - A clogged dryer vent can be a fire hazard. To clean it, disconnect the vent from the back of the machine and use a dryer vent brush to remove lint. Outside your house, remove the dryer vent cover and use the brush to remove lint from the other end of the vent line. Make sure the vent cover flap moves freely.
- Wash Exterior Windows - Hire a window-cleaning service to clean all exterior windows.
- Keep Allergens Away - Keep dust, mold and pollen at bay by decluttering your home, checking pipes for leaks and keeping the air clean.
- Check Foundation Vents - A house with a crawl space has vents along the foundation walls. The vents provide air circulation that helps prevent excess moisture and mold growth, and they prevent critters from taking up residence underneath your home. The screens collect leaves and other debris from fall and winter. Spring is a great time to clean them out and check for damage. Clean the vents by hand or use a shop vacuum. Repair any damaged screens — critters can get through even the smallest holes.
- Clean the Grill - Your grill has most likely collected dust during fall and winter. Help your grill live a long life with these maintenance tips, whether you have a charcoal or gas grill.
- Prep Your Garden - You can't have a successful garden without good soil. Follow these tips on how to prepare your soil to help you grow a lush garden.
- Test Smoke Alarms - Test smoke alarms and CO detectors, and change out batteries as needed. It's cheap, only takes a few minutes and can save your family's lives.
- Clean Outdoor Furniture - Outdoor entertaining season is just around the corner.