Fire in the home
This past weekend our production manager Justin responded to a fire loss in Egin, ID. Unfortunately, they were unsure how the fire had started. SERVPRO was there to help give them a little bit of direction until they heard back from their insurance company. According to www.safewise.com this is what you should do in the case of a fire.
Extinguish the Fire If Possible
If the fire has just sparked—for example, a pan catches fire on the stove—you may be able to contain it. Grab your fire extinguisher and remember to PASS: pull the pin, aim at the base of the flames, squeeze the extinguisher handle, and sweep from side to side until the fire is extinguished. Make sure that the fire is completely out and not still smoldering. Crawl Beneath the Flames to Escape
Check Doors and Doorknobs for Heat
If you must go through a door to get to an exit, check if the door is hot. If the door (or doorknob) is warm to the touch, there could be fire raging on the other side, so do not go through it. If you open a door and see fire or smoke, shut the door and go to a second exit.
Run to Safety
Once you make your way outside, run away from the fire to safety. Part of the house or apartment, like the roof or siding, may catch fire and fall around the perimeter of the building, so run across the street or down the block to safety.
Call for Help
Once you have made it away from the fire, call 911. If you don’t have a cellphone, go to a neighbor’s house and ask to borrow a phone. Tell the operator that there’s been a fire at your address, and then keep the line open to see if they need any other information.
If you have a Fire, Water, Mold or Asbestos disaster give SERVPRO a call today! We will help you through every step of the process. (208) 523-5365