Ice Dams can become a disaster fast
Our Crew Chief Zach was in Wyoming over the weekend checking out an icedam that affected some of the interior walls of this home. We placed equipment and got right to work! Icedams can turn into a disaster faster than you know!
Nationwide.com gives these tips on How to prevent ice dams:
Properly winterizing your roof is for ice dam prevention. Consider these precautions.
- Have your gutters cleaned before winter.
- Keep your attic well ventilated, so it stays cold, and properly ventilate the roof and eaves.
- Insulate the attic floor to reduce the amount of heat rising from within the house.
- Rake or shovel snow off the roof before it freezes or hire a professional roofer to clear your roof.
- Create an air barrier between the house and attic with a foil-faced cover over an uninsulated attic hatch or whole-house fan opening.
- Install a water-repellent roof membrane.
Finally, before winter, check for any potentially dangerous heat sources, including uninsulated recessed ceiling can lights, uninsulated folding attic stair openings, heating ducts, furnace or water-heating equipment and inadequate bathroom vent fans. Make sure to remedy these issues before the weather turns cold.
Give SERVPRO a call today if you have a Water, Fire, Mold or Asbestos Disasters. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.