Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
It is very important to be prepared for any fire related damage that could happen in your home or business. Here are some helpful tips and tricks we have gathered to help you better understand and hopefully prevent fire damage in your home or business.
- Make sure to install smoke detectors in most areas of your home
- Never use a stove or oven to heat your home
- Make a safety plan with your family and be sure to practice it multiple times a year
- Always keep your heating equipment well maintained
- Know and be aware of fire hazards in your home or business
- Maintain fireplaces in your home
- Never leave matches or lighters out for small children to grab
If you do have a fire disaster be sure to give SERVPRO of Rexburg/Rigby a call today at (208) 523-5365.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (208) 356-0263
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.